Thursday, July 16, 2009

Strawberry conserve

This is a recipe for Strawberry Conserve. It does not set as solid as a jam which I like and the taste is much better and fruitier as there is no added pectin which gives a slightly metallic flavour. Use equal amounts of strawberries and sugar I used 3lb of each and put the strawberries into a bowl, cover with the sugar and leave, covered, for 24 hours, overnight will do.



Transfer to a large pan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Then boil for 5 mins.



Return to the bowl and leave in a cool place (the fridge is fine) for another 24 hours.



Put back in the pan bring to the boil and boil for 10mins.



Leave to stand for 15 mins and then transfer to clean jars and seal with jam jar covers.



This may seem like hard work but it really is a very short amount of time and very little effort for the most amazing results. I love this best on Sunday morning on a freshly baked scone, yes I do get up and make scones on a Sunday morning, just call me Nigella!!

Today has been really lovely, I sat and sewed while the thunder raged outside and a flurry of sales from my shops. Pretty good start to the weekend!

No comments: